Annual Paddle Art Contest
2013 Winner: David Gao
2013 Winner most facebook likes: Simon Li
2012 Winner: Ashley Tang
2011 Winner: Amy Qiu
2010 Winner: Kristina Le
2009 Winner: Rachelle Wong
APPLY HERE: Online Entry Form
This annual award was started 2009 in commemoration of Arthur Yeh, one of the original LARD members who tragically passed away late 2007 in a car accident. His two loves, art and dragonboating, come together in this annual contest.
- All artwork must be original and embody the LARD mission statement. The artwork must be the contestant's original creation. The entry design may not be a copy or duplicate of any previously published art, including photographs. No copying or tracing will be accepted. The contestant’s signature on the entry form is an acknowledgment of the originality of the art. Plagiarism will be grounds for disqualification.
- All entries must be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org, titled, “Paddle Art Contest,” or submitted to the Los Angeles Racing Dragons, Paddle Art Contest, 5461 Marview Drive, La Palma, CA 90623.
- All entries must be emailed or postmarked by Saturday June 1, 2015. This is the official close of the contest. Entries emailed or postmarked after this date will not be considered.
- Contestants may only submit one entry. All contestants must be students at least 15 years old and under 24 years old at the time the contest closes.
- Contestants must be able to attend the 2019 Long Beach Dragon Boat Festival on July 27 & 28, 2015.
- Entries must be a horizontal or vertical drawing or painting measuring eight and a half (8 1/2") by eleven (11") inches. When creating your design, please consider the artwork will be transcribed onto the blade of a paddle, which measures approximately 14” by 6”. It is optional to create separate designs for the back of the blade as well as the handle and shaft.
- A completed, legible entry form and consent form must be attached with the entry. A wooden paddle will also be mailed/delivered for the winner to transcribe the art design onto the paddle. If the wooden paddle is not designed and mailed (postmarked) to LARD by Saturday July 20, 2015, the winner will be disqualified.
- The contestant’s name should be printed neatly on the back side (not front) of the artwork along with the home city in case the entry form and art become separated. If emailed, all forms (Registration Form, Consent Form, and the art design) must be emailed together in one email, titled, “Paddle Art Contest.”
- Entries that do not comply with the contest requirements will be disqualified.
Winning entries will be selected by the Yeh Family. All decisions are final.
The winning prize is a carbon fiber paddle. The prize will be presented to the winner at the 2019 Long Beach Dragon Boat Festival.
All artwork may be featured on the LARD website and in other promotional materials.
The winner will be notified by end of May via email or phone.
LARD retains ownership of all artwork entered in the 2019 Paddle Art, and may use the artwork in promotional materials such as cover designs, public information materials and exhibits. LARD may use the artwork to promote greater public awareness of dragon boat.
- is not responsible for loss or damage to entries;
- reserves the exclusive right to authorize the reproductions of all entries in any form, including: stamps, prints, calendars, greeting cards, fact sheets, brochures, fliers, posters, report covers, etc., and to photograph the winning designs without compensation to entrants;
- has the right to use the winners’ names for promotional purposes without compensation to entrants.
Paddle Art FAQ Section
Can I win both contests?
- Yes, you can win both contests. You are also allowed to buy $100 worth of stickers to decorate your new carbon fiber paddle if you win both contests!
How does voting work?
- After your entry is submitted, a digital copy will be posted onto the LARD Paddle Art Facebook page anonymously for the general public to view. The entry with the most "Likes" at the end of the voting session will be the winner.
What if there's a tie?
- In the event there is a tie, the entry with that received its last "Like" first will be the winner. Facebook time stamps will be used to determined the order of "Likes"
What is a Facebook "Like"?
- Please see the Facebook Help Center for an explanation of what a "Like" is: www.facebook.com/help/110920455663362
What does it mean that my artwork needs to "embody the LARD mission statement"?
- It means your artwork needs to have a theme that can be associated with or encompass one more of the values listed in the LARD mission statement. So
Does my artwork need to include the LARD name or logo?
- You do not need to include an references to LARD in your artwork nor will you get any brownie points for doing so.
Can I create my artwork digitally on a computer?
- Yes, you may create your artwork digitally, but no magical powers!
Can I hand draw my artwork?
- Yes, you may hand draw and then scan your submit your artwork electronically to: email@example.com
Does my artwork have to have color?
- Color is not required. If you feel you can create the next Picasso in black and white, go for it!
Can I mail my artwork in instead?
- You mail your artwork, however please note you will have to pay for shipping charges yourself and risk losing your artwork in the mail. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for the mailing address.
Do I have to paint on a paddle?
- You only have to draw on a paddle if you win one of the contests.
Do I have to buy a wooden paddle?
- LARD will provide the wooden paddle for you to paint on.
Do I have to pay for shipping?
- LARD will pay for shipping of the wooden paddle.
How do I draw or paint on a paddle?
- You may use any of coloring material that you have whether it be markers or paint. This paddle will not be used in the water, so you do not need to use waterproof paints.
Do I need to attend the Long Beach Tournament Race?
- Of course you need to be there! The Yeh family would like to meet the talented artist in person.
I have more questions!
- Please e-mail your questions to email@example.com